Bike and Barge Amsterdam to Bruges July 2026


From Seed to Bloom

Ironically, the genesis of the idea to experience a "flat and low land by the ocean Bike and Barge trip from Amsterdam to Bruges" was born at 4 100 feet in the Monashee Mountains in British Columbia. I was cycling with my BC cousins on the Myra Canyon Rail Trail near Kelowna - 18 trestles and 2 tunnels through solid rock -  on a warm, sunny July 2025 day. The panoramic views, the sounds of nature, a few snow capped mountains and cousin cameradie made for a most memorable ride. 






At some point, our route was compared to the Bike and Barge excursion that Len, Sharon and Fran had enjoyed several years ago. The rail trail has a grade of no more than 2.2 % as bygone cars were laden with heavy ore. And the trails in the Netherlands have very little variance in height. Immediately, even at this altitude, surrounded by the peaks built by tectonic thrust, my brain was awash with visions of water, windmills and stroopwafels. 






I had to quickly change the channel as except for the trestles, our trail had no side rails and long steep drops. I had to be vigilant. So I tucked the Eurovision away for further research and continued to inhale all that Mother Nature offered in the here and now. 



On our return to Vernon my cousins were very enthusiastic sharing details of their experience and gave me contact information. On my return to Ontario I spoke to good friends Anita and Michael. Anita's parents are Dutch and moved to Canada after the war. A number of relatives still live in the Netherlands and there have been trans Atlantic visits both ways. I did not have to twist their arms and the planning has been going on for six months. 

We'll spend 3.5 days exploring Amsterdam on foot before boarding the boat. The cruise and cycle portion of the trip is 7 nights and 8 days. Then two days and nights to check out Bruges before returning to Amsterdam by train. One more night there and then back to Canada, landing on July 31. We'll connect with Anita's Dutch relatives at some point.

 
Fijn dat je met ons meefietst! Vergeet je fietshelm niet!
🚴🚢











 

Comments

  1. So much fun! I think you’re going to have a great time. Loooing forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m looking forward to seeing photos and hearing about your trip Jamie. It brings back so many memories for me. You’re going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time! Can’t wait to hear all about your trip and to see all the photos! Make some great memories and we’ll see you when you’re back!

    Love always,
    Alysha

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have travelled to Kelowna BC several times and the scenery is spectacular but you have captured areas we never saw before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Up Close and Personal

Meaningful or Transformational